For years now the Sexual Abuse Network of Canada have been protecting the children in communities right across Canada by warning them when high risk sex offenders are being released so we can take steps to keep them safe . For years we have been using social media groups to be able to reach local communities when we are told about an offenders release or when a historical case is being investigated where there are many victims of an offender to be able to connect the victims to the services they need .
Back in 2013 we created our own Daily News Groups that is a network of city and provincial news groups to be able to reach more communities and be able to protect more children and have grown that network in the hundreds of thousand users between our 2 networks and we are working to expand our reach again by connecting with networks already established that will allow us to post our news as well as any child sexual abuse case we are working on and this move will connect us to so many more communities .
This year so far judges have ruled that forcing CONVICTED sex offenders to be put on the national sex offender registry is against the OFFENDERS rights and the second sickening ruling from our Canadian Judge is that the minimum sentencing in child sexual abuse cases were unjust and were overruled so now these offenders will spend even less time in jail for committing the worst crime imaginable .
We will be fighting for these laws to be reversed and will be rallying every member of parliament and speaking to the media till there is action in these 2 cases and force this system to make VICTIMS come first because they NEVER choose to be abused .
We ask for your help in this cause, from working online in our news groups to calling the elected officials to get things on the move and if you don’t have the time to volunteer than please join a local news group and follow our Daily News Group page and the Sexual Abuse Network of Canada Facebook pages so they can see the number of people are following these cases that put OUR children in danger .
For a list of our localized Facebook news groups as well as our affiliate news groups please click here .
A man has died after being shot with an arrow, but London police haven’t yet ruled the death a homicide.
Updated: February 5, 2019
A London police forensic investigator photographs the scene at 67 Abour Glen Cres. on Tuesday. Police were called to the address at 12:50 a.m. for a report of a man shot with an arrow. The man later died in the hospital. (DALE CARRUTHERS, The London Free Press)
A man has died after being shot with an arrow, but London police haven’t yet ruled the death a homicide.
Police were called to 67 Arbour Glen Cres., north of Kipps Lane, at 12:50 a.m. Tuesday for a report of a man shot with an arrow.
The man, whose name hasn’t been released, was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries. He underwent surgery before he died, police said.
Investigators haven’t classified the death as a homicide, Const. Sandasha Bough said, noting the probe is still in its early stages.
“Anyone with information is asked to contact police,” Bough said.
Police hadn’t made any arrests in the case by Tuesday afternoon.
Yellow police tape surrounded a two-storey Arbour Glen townhouse that neighbours say is the scene of frequent come-and-go foot traffic.
Garbage and other debris was piled outside the home’s front entrance. A note posted on the door said: “Knock . . . then wait . . . knock again. No answer . . . then split. Do not walk in my house.”
City tax records list Russell and Tracy-Lynn Morris as the owners of the home. Neighbours say the townhouse is rented out.
Investigators fanned across the area of Kipps Lane and Arbour Glen Crescent Tuesday, canvasing nearby townhouses, apartment complexes and businesses.
#LdnOnt police have cordoned off the entrance to a home on Arbour Glen Crescent, by Kipps Lane, and continue to investigate an incident in which a man was hit with an arrow early Tuesday and was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries. pic.twitter.com/I9WqXSA6cW
— Juha Jonathan (@JuhaatLFPress) February 5, 2019
Multiple area residents said police asked them whether they’d observed a cab in the area overnight.
“They asked me if I’d seen a taxi cab,” said one resident of the complex where the injured man was found.
A clerk at a Kipps Lane variety store, located just around the corner from centre of the police investigation, said an officer came into the store Tuesday morning and reviewed the surveillance footage.
The officer didn’t say whether she saw anything of interest, he added.
It’s unclear whether the deceased man was shot with an arrow or a bolt from a crossbow.
“That would be an investigative detail that we’re unable to provide at this time,” Bough said when asked about the projectile that struck the man.
Thieves steal specialized licence plates right off their vehicles
CBC News ·
Someone stole the specialized ham radio licence plate right off amateur radio operator Kody Gardner’s vehicle Saturday. (Cherie Wheeler/CBC)
There’s a different kind of pirate radio situation unfolding in Corner Brook.
Someone is stealing the licence plates of amateur radio operators there, right off their vehicles.
“It’s sort of uneasy because it’s something we enjoy doing,” said Kody Gardner, who lost his plate over the weekend.
In Newfoundland and Labrador, amateur radio operators can get licence plates starting with “VO1,” followed by a call sign.
In Gardner’s case, it’s his initials: “KJG.”
I don’t think anyone has something against us ham radio operators or something.
– Kody Gardner
The plates identify the owner as being an amateur operator, and sometimes that they have communications equipment inside the vehicle.
But the ease of identifying those unique plates could also make them targets.
“There’s a lot of plate collectors in Newfoundland and Labrador, and these plates are fairly rare. You don’t come across them very often,” said Gardner.
“So maybe to someone it might be worth a bit of money if they sell it online or something. So that’s the only thing I can think of. I don’t think anyone has something against us ham radio operators or something.”
There are a number of Newfoundland and Labrador licence plates for sale on the online auction site eBay, where at least one amateur radio plate is listed.
In Gardner’s case, he noticed the plate missing on Saturday night, after studying at Grenfell campus.
But he says he wasn’t the only one targeted.
“Soon after another ham radio guy, Gerry, gave me a call and said, well, his plate was taken right out of his driveway that same night,” he said.
Industry Canada’s website has a list of amateur radio operators, complete with information on their skill levels, what they’re trained to do and their home addresses.
Gardener thinks that could make him and his colleagues targets, and says it might be a good idea for amateur operators to take off their specialized plates for the next little while “because who knows who’s next?”
“We’re there in case of any sort of emergencies or something,” he said.
“So for some like me it’s definitely a hobby, but some other people take it pretty seriously, and they’ve been doing it for decades, so to have something like that stolen off your vehicle, something so personal like that, is definitely concerning.”
Surrey RCMP said Sunday that shooting suspect Daon Glasgow is in custody.
Jenny had an early shift Sunday morning and had set her alarm for 5:13 a.m.
But she was jolted out of bed at her family’s Burnaby home, first by people’s loud voices outside the house on the front street that faces her bedroom, then by banging on the front door and popping noises she said sounded like gunshots.
Still groggy and unable to make sense of what she was hearing, she looked out the window.
“I saw a man with a big gun running by. It was so scary. He was hiding behind that tree,” she said, indicating the yard across from her house.
She said the surreal scene of armed police and an armoured vehicle metres from her front door felt “like something you only see in a movie. I was shocked.”
Jenny, who said she was too fearful to use her real name, lives directly behind the fourplex on Boundary Road and Rumble Avenue that a large force of police raided before dawn on Sunday to arrest a suspect in the Jan. 30 shooting of a Transit Police officer at the Scott Road SkyTrain station.
Police had been searching for Daon Glasgow, 35, since identifying the man as a suspect on Thursday.
Police evacuated the residents in the other suites of the large, modern two-storey grey stucco house in the 7500 block of Boundary Road before moving in to arrest Glasgow.
Police used a variety of officers — including Surrey and Burnaby Mounties, an RCMP emergency response teams, canine unit and a helicopter — for the 5:30 a.m. arrest.
No one was injured.
Glasgow, who was on parole after serving time for manslaughter, was being held on an earlier Canada-wide warrant for breach of parole conditions.
RCMP Assistant Commissioner Dwayne McDonald said no charges had been approved in connection with the Scott Road SkyTrain station shooting that left Const. Josh Harms, 27, with gunshot wounds to both arms. He said police are in discussion with the B.C. Prosecution Service, which must approve any charges.
It was still dark, but from her home’s front window, Jenny took a picture of the large armoured vehicle used in the operation and played a reporter a video in which you could see red-and-blue flashing lights and hear popping noises.
“Was that gunshots? I don’t know,” she said. “I thought it was shooting.”
Part of the back fence of the raided house was reduced to a pile of boards and a front ground-floor picture window had several large holes punched through it. Most of the glass in a smaller window on the side of the house had been broken, leaving a jagged gaping hole.
Pictured is the Burnaby home where Daon Glasgow was arrested early Sunday. Glasgow is the man sought in the investigation into the shooting of a Transit Police officer Wednesday.
“It was around 5:10 and I heard people talking loudly outside,” said Jenny as she stood at the front door of her house hours after the raid. “Then someone was banging loudly on the door and they didn’t say anything.”
Her father got up to answer and she warned him away.
“I saw the police outside but I didn’t know who was banging on the door,” she said. “I was freaked out.”
She said she and her brother both heard someone yell out: “You’re under arrest!”
To get to work on time, Jenny would have to leave at 6:00, so she called 911 and was told it was safe to go outside. But when she opened the door, an officer yelled at her to go back inside.
Soon after, they knocked on the door and told her she could leave her house.
”This is a quiet area,” she said. “Something like this has never happened here before. I don’t feel safe.”
McDonald said Glasgow’s arrest was considered “high-risk.”
“We had to consider that this was not a targeted event, that the suspect was armed with a firearm and at large in public and there was a heightened risk for violence,” he said.
Police detained three other people in the fourplex during the arrest, but they were later released.
Police continued through the day to investigate the site, with officers taking photographs.
McDonald would not comment on how officers tracked Glasgow to the home but said police relied on “covert” investigative techniques.
This story was shared from the Edmonton Sun and there are more photos and related links in the full story with the link below
CTV Saskatoon Published Friday, February 9, 2018 1:18PM CST Last Updated Friday, February 9, 2018 7:55PM CST
Gerald Stanley has been found not guilty in the shooting death of Colten Boushie.
A 12-person jury reached the verdict Friday evening.
The seven women and five men had been deliberating since Thursday afternoon, following instruction from Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench Chief Justice Martel Popescul, who presided over the trial in Battleford.
Stanley, 56, was charged in the August 2016 death of Boushie, a Cree man from the Red Pheasant First Nation.
Court heard during the trial, which started Jan. 29, the 22-year-old Boushie was shot in the head with a handgun while he was sitting in the driver’s seat of an SUV that had been driven onto Stanley’s farm near Biggar.
Popescul said during his instruction jurors must choose between three options: that Stanley is guilty of second-degree murder, that Stanley is guilty of manslaughter or that Stanley be acquitted.
It’s not disputed Stanley caused the death, Popescul told the jury. The verdict will come down to whether or not the jury finds he caused the death unlawfully.
“You must decide the issue of carelessness and lawful excuse,” Popescul instructed.
The jury re-heard testimony during the day Friday from both Stanley and his son, Sheldon, before reaching the verdict hours later.
Stanley testified Monday he thought his Tokarev handgun was disarmed when Boushie was shot. He took the magazine out of the gun after firing warning shots straight into the air, he said.
He said he couldn’t see his wife, who had been on a riding lawnmower, and thought she was under the SUV. He told court he sprinted toward the vehicle to look underneath and the vehicle revved.
“From here I ran as hard as I could to the front of the car. I went right to the front of the car. I looked down, then I was going to kneel down to look under and the car revved up. I thought the car was going to run me over,” he testified.
The gun, in his right hand, fired when he was reaching his left arm across the SUV’s steering wheel to turn off the ignition, according to Stanley.He said he was holding the gun’s magazine in his left hand and that his finger wasn’t on the trigger.
“It just went off,” he told court.
He then saw his wife and son standing near the SUV, after the shooting, he said.
Crown prosecutor Bill Burge argued in his closing statement Stanley’s and Sheldon’s testimonies didn’t match. Stanley said he ran to the SUV, while Sheldon testified he saw his father walk by the SUV.
Stanley’s lawyer, Scott Spencer, who described the shooting as a “freak accident,” said during his closing arguments the shot was a hang fire — a delay between when the trigger is pulled and when the bullet fires.
“It’s a tragedy, but it’s not criminal,” Spencer said. “Some people aren’t going to be happy. You have to do what is right based on the evidence you heard in this courtroom. You must acquit.”
Burge disputed that Stanley believed the firearm was empty and that the gun could have had a misfire or hang fire.
“It’s a very rare circumstance,” said Burge, who pointed to the evidence of gun experts. “He’s told you something that is demonstrably not true because there was another round in that clip.”
Burge argued Stanley handled the firearm carelessly because he didn’t know how many bullets he loaded into the gun or how many shots he fired, and because he held a loaded gun close to three people in a vehicle in an unsafe manner. Burge also said Stanley wasn’t aware of the safety measures of his own gun, a gun he owned for four years, because he thought removing the magazine would disarm the gun — which isn’t the case.
“You can’t believe what Gerald Stanley said. The only inference is that it was pulled. Was it pulled intentionally? Did it go off accidentally?” Burge said.
“In either event, ladies and gentlemen, if it was pulled intentionally, I am suggesting that’s murder.”
Two of the five people who were with Boushie the day of the shooting testified last week the group was looking for help with a flat tire, but both Stanley and his son told court they believed someone from the SUV was attempting to steal an all-terrain vehicle from the yard.
Both lawyers used the term “highly charged” to describe the situation.
— Written by Kevin Menz, with files from Angelina Irinici and The Canadian Press’s Bill Graveland
Ontario shed some 59,300 part-time jobs in January, the same month the province hiked minimum wage about 20 per cent to $14 an hour — but experts say it may be too soon to know how much the two are correlated.
The province shed 50,900 jobs total from December 2017, according to the Statistics Canada report.
Labour Force Survey: following two months of increases, #employment fell by 88,000 in January. Part-time employment declined (-137,000), while full-time employment was up (+49,000). http://ow.ly/6vq830iiQFi
It gained approximately 8,500 full-time positions but lost roughly 59,300 part-time gigs, according to data provided by the agency, which noted the figures are rounded.
That means there was 3.4 per cent or 46,100 fewer part-time posts in January 2018 than the same time the previous year.
Some economists said it’s possible Ontario’s minimum wage increase played a role in those declines, but noted it’s important not to read too much into one month of data.
The province hiked minimum wage by $2.40 per hour to $14 per hour at the beginning of the year, a move some economists warned could result in mass job losses as employers look to reduce costs.
Overall, economists are divided on how minimum wage increases play out. Some research has suggested a reduction in hours or jobs follow mandated wage bumps, while other studies suggest no long-term connection between wage increases and dips in employment rates.
The 59,000 figure is a “whopping” one, said Matthieu Arseneau, senior economist at National Bank Financial Markets, in a note.
It “may be a sign of adjustments made by corporations coping with a minimum wage surge,” he said, noting young people ages 15 to 24 lost 24,000 part-time positions.
However, economists also pointed to possible connections between Ontario’s minimum wage and Canada’s stronger average wage growth of 3.3 per cent in January. It’s the highest year-over-year increase since July 2015 when it rose 3.32 per cent. The same increase — 3.31 per cent — happened in March 2016 and November 2015.
“One of the positives in today’s release was the fact that wage growth picked up,” said Craig Alexander, chief economist at the Conference Board of Canada.
“Now part of that might be reflecting the increase in minimum wages in Ontario because that increase in minimum wage is impacting more than 20 per cent of all the workers in Ontario.”
In the province, average hourly wage rates for permanent employees in January rose 3.19 per cent from the same time last year.
While that is lower than the national number, the dollar amount of $27.83 in Ontario is higher than for all of Canada at $27.46 for January, said Gordon Song, an analyst with Statistics Canada, in an email.
Ontario’s mandatory minimum hourly rate is set for another bump in January 2019, when it will rise to $15.